Saturday, August 2, 2008

Relay for Life at Riverton Park 8/1/08

I was asked a couple of months ago if I would be willing to play my pipes at the American Cancer Society Relay for Life at Riverton Park. They wanted a piper for a Luminaria Ceremony which is the lighting of candles inside paper bags that are tributes to victims, survivors and those fighting cancer. I was honored by the invitation. I put together a couple of sets of slow marches and airs which I hoped would be appropriate.

They first presented a slide show of cancer victims and survivors as well as those still fighting the disease. It was a very moving media presentation. Then there were two testimonials about the relay and what it means following which I played a set of tunes - Farewell to Camraw, An Abhaine Chaillte and Flowers of the Forest. Only a very minor flub in Farewell to Camraw.

After that set there was a moment of silence and then an invitation to walk around a visit the luminaries. Unfortunately at this point there was a slight mix up in the program, but it was straightened out and I played my last set which I shortened up. It included the tunes Fair Maid of Barra, Lochaber No More, Danny Boy and Amazing Grace. It went well except for a slight mistake in Amazing Grace - can't believe I slipped up on that one. The mood of the ceremony was appropriate and I felt good about my performance.

I hope God will allow me to continue to serve others through my playing.

No comments:

Blog posts