Friday, August 1, 2008

Bagpipe Controversies and new pipers (a comment)

Quote:
I think that Pete's statement in the last sentence, covers it all, far too often you hear younger (and some older) Pipers argueing the toss with well known and experienced Pipers, only to find that they have been playing for all of five minutes, YET think they are experts.To be fair this is happening in all walks of life? it always reminds me of the old saying, A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS


I agree to a point. I have only been playing for four years - that's not a long time by piping standards. It hasn't been that long since I was struggling with the same things that newer pipers are struggling with and yet I still have much to learn. That doesn't mean I can't have a valid opinion about certain things.

I have asked questions here and on other forums to try to learn and have found that even the "experts" often have different opinions. Here is a website that spells out some areas of differing opinions and controversies.

http://bagpipejourney.com/articles/controversies.shtml

I respect the opinions of those who have more experience than I do. I try to research my questions as much as possible. Often it will change my pre-concieved ideas on things, but sometimes it will not depending on numerous factors, not the least of which is a feeling of mutual respect. I don't think anyone likes to have an opinion jammed down their throat regardless of the "expertise" of the person doing it.

Also, if there were no room for lively discussion, this forum would be a boring place indeed.

No comments:

Blog posts