Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pipe Band Forum 1-10-08

Drinking and Piping

Interesting thread. I posted a thread a while back about piping for a wedding. Most of the responses included something about alcohol.

I'm not a drinker, but I have nothing against those who do as long as they act responsibly.

Here in Utah most of the bands have a lot of Mormons in them so there is generally not a lot of drinking. Contrary to popular thought however, Utah is not a dry State and anyone who wants to can get alcohol here.

As far as the association of alcohol and bagpipe players, I don't think it is that much different than a lot of groups, clubs, teams, associations, etc. Most fraternal organizations have a lot of drinking - some even have their own bars. I play hockey and even here in Utah there is a lot of booze in the locker rooms of the adult teams.

I would guess that for a lot of folks drinking is just part of the social scene and some think that a party without booze is just a meeting. I would disagree, but hey what would I know ... my favorite drink is choclate milk made at Reed's Dairy in Idaho Falls, Idaho. Believe it or not it has potatoes in it!

No comments:

Blog posts