Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dunshire Bagpipe Forum 2/11/06 - 2/14/06

Public Domain question. (my post regarding permission to use a tune on a recording for a band)

I've been asked to do an intro to a song being recorded by a local band for their first CD. I think "Farewell to Camraw" works well. The sheet music I have for this shows R. Mathieson as the composer of this tune. I've noticed it has been recorded by quite a few bands, and is used quite extensively in the repetoir of numerous bands. I'm not up to speed on what is considered public domain, how tunes that are not public domain can be used and how to go about getting permission for tunes that require it. I want to do the right thing here.

Follow up post:

I may have given the impression that this is a pipe band recording a CD - it isn't, it's a rock band. They have scraped together enough money to record a CD on their own. They don't have a recording contract with a label. The song is an instrumental composition and is, as I understand it, dedicated to the writer's uncle who passed away. The tune adds a lot of dignity to the composition.

Note: I did follow up with the composer of the tune and got permission to record it.

No comments:

Blog posts