Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dunshire Bagpipe Forum 2/23/06

Lessons for 12-year-old in Dallas

I can't give you any recommendations on an instructor in Texas, but I can give you some encouragement in getting your son started.I started learning to play the bagpipes about 2 1/2 years ago (I'm 48 now). I have five kids, and the youngest is what we have referred to as our bonus baby - he's eight years younger than the next oldest sibling. Our older kids have all grown and moved out which left us with our 10 year old son still at home. Needless to say, he and I do a lot together and he expressed an interest in drumming about 1 1/2 years ago, so I signed him up. He and I have lessons the same night at the same time in the same location.His instructor was a little reluctant to take on a nine year old, but he has done extremely well and his instructor has really taken to him.He and I have performed together at two recitals and he has gotten a lot of compliments. He has quickly surpassed me and will be performing with the grade IV band in concert next month. We have had so much fun together that my wife and oldest daughter have become jealous. My wife started on the drums two months ago and my daughter started pipe lessons a month ago.It's one of the most rewarding things I've done with any of my kids.

No comments:

Blog posts