Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dunshire Bagpipe Forum 2/20/07

Plans on solo competition (more of my comments on competing)

Don't wait until you think you are ready to compete. Once you send off the application and fees for your first competition, you'll get ready.Last year was my first year competing and knowing others in my band that I would be competing against made me feel very much out of my league.I never gave a thought to making the prize list, I just wanted to play my best and see what the judges had to say so I would know what to work on.I was surprised by the whole experience. The judges were amazingly patient and gave wonderful encouragement and advice. I took a chance and competed in Grade IV on a trip to Alberta Canada. I received the same encouragement and respect there even when I totally trashed a Strathspey/Reel in Calgary. All in all, I encourage any new piper to compete even if you're an older beginner like myself (49).

No comments:

Blog posts